CELT Project (MS image source: CPG 359 copyright Uni-Bibl. Heidelberg)
CELT - Corpus of Electronic Texts
Documents of Ireland
Home About News FAQ Published Captured Search Languages Contact Resources People

Pádraic Pearse

Patrick Pearse, also known as Pádraig Pearse (Pádraig Mac Piarais)

   
1879 : born Dublin to Irish mother and English father
1893: began learning Irish
October 1896: joined Gaelic League which was only three years old, attended the Central branch
1896: became pupil-teacher at Christian Brothers School, Westland Row, Dublin
June 1898: sat Matriculation examination of the Royal University; later that year began private study for two years towards the B.A. degree (attended University College Dublin for part of the third); also studied at the same time at Trinity College Dublin for King's Inns
Summer 1898: co-opted to the Executive Committee of the Gaelic League; first visit to Aran
1899: taught a weekly class in Irish in the then Jesuit University College Dublin; James Joyce was one of his pupils for a short time. Later taught at Alexandra College, CBS Westland Row and was examiner in Irish history at Clongowes College
September 1900: father died, Pearse and his brother Willie left the thriving stone-carving business which was renamed Pearse & Sons
June 1901: took final exams at the Royal University and at King's Inns; awarded 2nd class B.A. in modern languages (Irish, English, French) and B.L.; called to the Bar
March 1903: became editor of An Claidheamh Soluis (journal of the Gaelic League): held this position until late in 1909
1905: took his only case as barrister, acted for the Gaelic League; Poll an Piobaire (The Piper's Cave) published
1905 June: visited Belgium to examine the continental system of education in a bilingual country; this visit formed the basis of nearly fifty articles and editorials
1906: writing as Colm Ó Conaire published prose poems
1907: Íosagán agus Sgéalta Eile (Little Jesus and other Stories) published
1908 September: opened school St Enda's (Scoil Éanna) at Cullenswood House, Rathmines, Dublin; St Enda's finally closed in 1935
1909 December: poem 'A Mhic Bhig na gCleas' (Little Lad of the Tricks) written
1910: Pearse & Sons dissolved; St Enda's moved to The Hermitage, Rathfarnham; St Ita's school for girls founded. Got into debt due to over-expansion of schools; supported, with his brother, their mother and two sisters
1912: An Rí (The King) produced
1913 November 11: Irish Volunteers' first meeting at which Pearse attended: a non-political organization
1913 December: swore the oath of the Irish Republican Brotherhood, infiltrated the Irish Volunteers
1914 February 8: left Ireland from Cóbh for America to raise funds for St Enda's; returned in May
1914: during the summer the Volunteers received arms from Erksine Childers' yacht; Pearse stored some of these in St Enda's
1914 December: appointed director of military organization in Volunteers
1915 March 10: appointed commandant unattached to any battalion; involved in drilling and exercising troops
1915 August 1: gave oration at O'Donovan Rossa graveside in Glasnevin Cemetery, Dublin
1915 September: appointed to the eleven-man Supreme Council of the IRB
1916 April: preparations became intense for rising on Easter Sunday; Pearse issued "General Orders" for manoeuvres on 3 April
1916 April 25 (Easter Monday): walked from Liberty Hall with James Connolly to the General Post Office with soldiers; occupied GPO for five days; was one of seven who signed the Proclamation of Independence
1916 April 28: issued manifesto, signed as P.H. Pearse Commandant General, Commanding-in-Chief, the Army of the Irish Republic and President of the Provisional Government
1916 April 29 (Friday): unconditional surrender of GPO and Provisional forces to the British Army; taken to Arbour Hill Barracks, moved to Richmond Barracks for court-martial
1916 May 3: killed by firing-squad 3.30 am, as was his brother Willie; both buried in quick lime in Arbour Hill

Sources:
Ruth Dudley Edwards, Patrick Pearse: The Triumph of Failure (London: Victor Gollancz, 1977)

celtic knot
University College Cork
UCC

© 1997–2014 Corpus of Electronic Texts (UCC)
Email CELT: b.faerber(at)ucc.ie

University College Cork
UCC