Corpus of Electronic Texts Edition: T402576
Why do I avoid the descendants of Aodh?
Author: Domhnall Ó Maoilchonaire
Background details and bibliographic information
File DescriptionLuke McInerney
translated by Luke McInerney
Rendered into TEI-XML by Beatrix Färber
Funded by University College Cork.
1. First draft.
Extent of text: 2440 words
CELT: Corpus of Electronic Texts: a project of University College, Cork
College Road, Cork, Irelandhttp://www.ucc.ie/celt (2013)
Distributed by CELT online at University College, Cork, Ireland.
Text ID Number: T402576
Available with prior consent of the CELT programme for purposes of academic research and teaching only. CELT is very grateful to Luke McInerney and the editor of Seanchas Ardmhacha, Mgr. Réamonn Ó Muirí for their permission to make this text available on CELT.
Manuscript sources of the Irish original
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 784 (olim 23 G 9), written by Aindrias MacCruitín, 1708.
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 488 (olim 23 N 12), written by M. mc P. Ó Longáin.
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 491 (olim 23 E 16), written by M. Óg Ó Longáin, 1797?
- Maynooth, Russell Library, MS M 107, written by Aodh Buí Mac Cruitín?, 1712.
- Maynooth, Russell Library, MS 2 M, written by M. Óg Ó Longáin, 1818.
- Luke McInerney has a webpage with further articles (including the full text of this one) on http://independent.academia.edu/LukeMcInerney.
- You will find more information on bardic poetry in general, and in particular, on Dr Katherine Simms' Irish Poetry Database hosted at http://www.bardic.celt.dias.ie.
Literature mentioned in the footnotes
- R. W. Twigge, The Pedigree of John MacNamara, Esquire, with some Family Reminiscences, 1908, reprint Ruan: Martin Breen 2006.
The edition used in the digital edition
- Luke McInerney, A sixteenth century bardic poem composed for Seán
Mac Conmara, Lord of West Clann Chuiléin in Seanchas Ardmhacha, Ed. Réamonn Ó Muirí. , Armagh, Cumann Seanchas Ardmhacha (Armagh Diocesan Historical Society) (2009) volume 22 page 127: 2427
CELT: Corpus of Electronic Texts
This translation corresponds to the text of RIA, MS 784. The edition covers pp 2426 and incorporates the editor's footnotes on p. 27. The Irish original is available in a separate file on CELT.
Text was proofed by the editor, and checked and proof-read once at CELT.
The electronic texts represents the edited text. The editor's footnotes have been integrated. In the CELT edition, footnote numbering runs separate in the English and Irish text.
There are no quotation marks.
Soft hyphens are silently removed. When a hyphenated word (hard or soft) crosses a page-break, the page-break is marked after the completion of the hyphenated word.
There are no dates within the poem.
Names of persons, groups or places are not tagged.
Created: The translation was created in 2009.
Use of language
Language: [EN] The poem in English.
Language: [GA] Some words and phrases are in Classical Modern Irish.