Corpus of Electronic Texts Edition: T201009
On the Life of St. Patrick
Background details and bibliographic information
File DescriptionWhitley Stokes
translated by Whitley StokesElectronic edition compiled by Ruth Murphy
Funded by University College, Cork and
Professor Marianne McDonald via the CELT Project
2. Second draft, revised and corrected.
Extent of text: 11310 words
CELT: Corpus of Electronic Texts: a project of University College, Cork
College Road, Cork, Ireland (2000) (2010)
Distributed by CELT online at University College, Cork, Ireland.
Text ID Number: T201009
Available with prior consent of the CELT programme for purposes of
academic research and teaching only.
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, Lebar Brecc, p. 24b29b,.
- London, British Library, Egerton 93.
- Oxford, Bodleian Library, Rawlinson B 512.
- Leabhar Breac, the Speckled Book, otherwise styled Leabhar Mór Dúna Doighre, the Great Book of Dun Doighre. lithographic facsimile. (Dublin 1876).
Editions and Translations
- W.M. Hennessy, The Tripartite life of Saint Patrick, apostle of Ireland. Translated from the original Irish, by W.M. Hennessey. In: M. F. Cusack: Life of Saint Patrick, (London 1870) 371502, 4to.
- Whitley Stokes (ed.), Three Middle-Irish Homilies (Calcutta 1877). For the English translation the editor made use of a manuscript version by John O'Donovan, which Stokes corrected in a few instances mentioned in his edition.
- Whitley Stokes, The Tripartite Life of Patrick, with other documents relating to the Saint. Edited with translations and indexes. D.C.L., L.L.D., Rolls Ser. 8vo (London 1887). Part I. cxcix + 267  pp. facs. Part II. 269676.
- Whitley Stokes, Lives of Saints from the Book of Lismore. Edited with translation and notes. (Oxford 1890).
- Richar Irvine Best, Betha Pátraic. From MS. 10 King's Inns Library, Dublin. (Anecdota from Irish MSS. III., 2942, Halle, 1909).
- Charles Plummer, Vitae Sanctorum Hiberniae partim hactenus ineditae ad fidem codicum manuscriptorum recognovit prolegomis notis indicibus instruxit Carolus Plummer. Tom. I.-II. (Oxonii 1910). [Introduction deals with the relation of the Latin and Irish lives, content, folklore, mythology, etc.]
- Sir John T. Gilbert, Facsimiles of National manuscripts of Ireland. Pt. I [Pl. xvixxvii Book of Armagh, fol. 18. Text and translation] (Dublin 1874).
- Kathleen Mulchrone, Bethu Phátraic. The Tripartite Life of Patrick. Ed. with translation and indexes. I. Text and Sources. (Dublin: Royal Irish Academy 1939). [Text based on Egerton 93 and Rawl. B. 512.]
- E. J. Gwynn, Liber Ardmachanus. The Book of Armagh. Ed. with introduction and glosses. (Dublin 1913). [Irish notes, glosses, names on persons and places, etc. with indices, revised by E. J. Gwynn.]
- Whitley Stokes, St Patrick's Doctrines. Academy XXXIV. 26 (1888) 5455,104.
- Ludwig Bieler (comp). Codices Patriciani Latini. A descriptive catalogue of Latin manuscripts relating to St. Patrick. (Dublin: D.I.A.S. 1942).
- Ludwig Bieler, The Life and Legend of St. Patrick. The Irish Ecclesiastical Record, 5th series 70, 1948, 10871091.
- Ludwig Bieler, The life and legend of St. Patrick. Problems of modern scholarship. (Dublin: Clonmore & Reynolds 1949).
- John Ryan (Ed. and introduction), Saint Patrick. (Dublin: Stationery Office 1958). (Thomas Davis lectures 1957) 6 lectures by various scholars.
- John Ryan, St. Patrick, Apostle of Ireland. Studies 50 (1961) 113151.
- Robert E. McNally, St Patrick 4611961. The Catholic Historical Review 47, 1961/62. (1962) 305324.
- B.A. Binchy, Patrick and his biographers: ancient and modern. Studia Hibernica 2 (1962) 7173.
- Robert McNally (Ed. and introduction) Old Ireland, (Dublin: Gill 1965).
- Ludwig Bieler, St Patrick and the coming of Christianity. (Dublin, Melbourne: Gill 1967). (A history of Irish catholicism vol.1, no. 1).
- Ludwig Bieler, The mission of Palladius. A comparative study of sources. Traditio 6 (1948) 132.
- Paul S. Grosjean, Patrice d'Irlande et quelques homonymes dans les anciens martyrologes. Journal of Ecclesiastical History 1 (1950) 125129.
- James Carney, Studies in Irish Literature and History. (Dublin: D.I.A.S. 1995).
- R. P. C. Hanson, Saint Patrick. His origins and career. (Oxford: Clarendon 1968).
- Thomas F. O'Rahilly, The two Patricks. A lecture on the history of Christianity in fifth-century Ireland. (Dublin: D.I.A.S., 1942, repr. 1971).
- J. F. Kenny, St Patrick and the Patrick Legend. Thought VIII. 134 (1933) 213229.
- E. MacNeill, The earliest lives of St. Patrick. Royal Society of Antiq. Journ. LVIII (1928) 121.
- E. MacNeill, The native place of St. Patrick. Royal Irish Academy Proceedings XXXVII Sect.C No. 6 (1926) 11840.
- E. A. Thompson, Who Was Saint Patrick? (Woodbridge: Boydell Press 1985).
- Review of E. A. Thompson.  Michael E. Jones, Albion 19 (1987) 209210.
- Review of E. A. Thompson.  E. A. Overgaauw, Le Moyen-Age 94/34 (1988) 481482.
- Review of E. A. Thompson.  Alan Dierkens, Latomus 48 (1989) 46.
- R. P. C. Hanson, The Life and Writings of the Historical St. Patrick. (New York: Seabury Press 1983).
- Review of R. P. C. Hanson.  Keith J. Egan, Church History 53 (1984) 548549.
- Review of R. P. C. Hanson.  Joseph F. Kelly, Speculum 59 (1984) 652653.
- Review of R. P. C. Hanson.  Robert T. Meyer, Theological Studies 45 (1984) 208.
- Review of R. P. C. Hanson.  D. Ó Cróinín, Irish Historical Studies 24 (198485), 398399.
- Review of R. P. C. Hanson.  Tarlach Ó Raifeartaigh, Irish Theological Quarterly 50 (1984) 276280.
- Liam De Paor, (Ed. and trans.) Saint Patrick's World. The Christian Culture of Ireland's Apostolic Age. (Blackrock and Dublin: Four Courts Press 1993).
- Review of Liam De Paor.  Claire Stancliffe, Early Medieval Europe 4 (1995) 220221.
- Review of Liam De Paor.  Colmán Etchingham, Éigse 29 (1996) 214220.
- Alannah Hopkin, The Living Legend of St Patrick. (London: Grafton Books 1989).
- Review of Alannah Hopkin. Richard Sharpe. Folklore 102/1 (1991) 120121.
- Laurence J. Maney, "When Brigit Met Patrick." Proceedings of the Harvard Celtic Colloquium 14 (1994) 175194.
- Frédéric Kurzawa, Petite vie de saint Patrick. Paris: Desclée de Brouwer, 1995. Rev. Gwenaël Le Duc. Annales de Bretagne et des Pays de l'Ouest (Anjou, Maine, Touraine) 102/4 (1995) 129.
- David N. Dumville with Lesley Abrams, T. M. Charles-Edwards, Alicia Corrêa, K. R. Dark, K. L. Maund, and A. P. McD. Orchard, Saint Patrick A.D. 4931993. (Woodbridge, Suffolk: The Boydell Press 1993).
- Review of Dumville et al.  Ann Hamlin. Medieval Archaeology 39 (1995) 296297.
- Review of Dumville et al.  N. J. Higham. Britannia 26 (1995) 399-400.
- Review of Dumville et al.  Dáibhí Ó Cróinín. Cambrian Medieval Celtic Studies 29 (1995) 72.
- Review of Dumville et al.  Jane Stevenson. Early Medieval Europe 4 (1995) 114115.
- Cormac Bourke. Patrick: the archaeology of a saint. (Belfast: HMSO, 1993).
- K. W. Hughes, The Church in Early Irish Society (London 1966).
The edition used in the digital edition
- Three Middle-Irish Homilies on the Lives of Saints Patrick, Brigit and Columba. Whitley Stokes (ed), First edition [45 pp.] (100 copies privately printed)Calcutta (1877)
CELT: Corpus of Electronic Texts
The present text represents pages 347 of the volume. All editorial introduction, translation, notes and indexes have been omitted. Editorial corrigenda are integrated in the electronic edition.
The text has been checked and proofread twice. All corrections are tagged.
The electronic texts represents the edited text.
Quotation marks are rendered q.
When a hyphenated word (hard or soft) crosses a page break, the break is marked after the completion of the hyphenated word.
div0=the saint's life; div1=the paragraph; page-breaks are marked. Paragraphs are marked. Passages in verse are marked by poem, stanza and line.
Names of persons and place names are not tagged. Numbers and dates are not marked.
Created: Translation by Whitley Stokes.
Use of language
Language: [EN] The translation is in English.
Language: [LA] Some passages, words and phrases are in Latin.
Language: [GA] A few words are in Middle Irish.
Beatrix Färber (ed.)
- File updated, conversion script run; new SGML and HTML versions created.
Beatrix Färber (ed.)
- Keywords added; file validated.
Beatrix Färber (ed.)
- Value of div0 "type" attribute modified, 'creation' tags inserted, content of 'langUsage' revised.
Julianne Nyhan (ed.)
- Normalised language codes and edited langUsage for XML conversion
Peter Flynn (ed.)
- Converted to XML
Beatrix Färber (ed.)
- File parsed using NSGMLS; HTML file created.
Benjamin Hazard (ed.)
- Second proofing of file.
Ruth Murphy (ed.)
- Text typed in and file proofed.