Corpus of Electronic Texts Edition
The Metrical Dindshenchas (Author: [unknown])
MAG LÉNA I
- Dear is the monument, visited by scores of crowds, and dear the grave of martial memory; dear is the corpse, now spiritless, to which the swine gave lasting sepulture.
- Thorny the tale that was bruited there, of a fighter that never needed urging, who speaks no more: the sudden fate of Lena, that fades not, has caused dread and dire dismay.
- Lena, son of wealthy Mess Roida, reared a swine, worst of plagues: this was that fatal boar whereby Lena, martial foe, was slain.
- From him shall fierce Mag Lena of martial fame answer to its name in the north, from the noble scion who faced the fray: he departed thence, a death undesired,
- When the five fair provinces of Erin came, on a time, in full array, at Samain-tide, to seek the swine in the east where it had its loved abode.
- The noble prop of constant combats bred Ailbe sleek and dappled, smooth of poll: many a host he laid under earth in the east, that perfect hound, fell and dear.