Corpus of Electronic Texts Edition
The Metrical Dindshenchas (Author: [unknown])
- The plain where we are met in silence, high Mag Itha of the chilly banks, was called Mag Bolg mighty in battle till the death of illustrious Ith.
- Ith son of Breogan, numerous in exploits, came leading the bands of his noble kin: till he found Erin, abounding in hidden peril, he rested not in his resolute career
- He reached Ailech of the Rock, that ancient land of nobles with its kings of broad Fótla and the three sons of Cermait.
- Then said he, in fluent speech: Dwell ye together in kinship and unity! goodly is the island where ye areno paltry renown! plentiful its fish and its various fruitage!
- Temperate its heat and cold: happy the kings that own it of right! never found I land nor territory to match its mingled colours.
- He journeyed from thence (it was no mean array) till he reached Mag Bolg of the cow-pastures: a glittering host came without warning to slay and to destroy him.
- Ith son of Breoganlasting his famewas killed and conquered there, even in Mag Bolg of the cattle-lord, whoe'er he be: he ranked as chief of many a plain.