Corpus of Electronic Texts Edition
The Metrical Dindshenchas (Author: [unknown])
- Dreco, daughter of grim Calcmael son of slender Cartan, son of Conuath, a maiden versed in all black arts, was a wizard and eke a poetess.
- By her was wrought (a tale of woe)by her fury and her jealousythe slaughter of the sons of Fergus Lethderg, when the fight of Bregross, the robber's hold, was fought.
- Four and twentyno lie! even twice twelve men, four times sixfierce their deeds! these were slain by Dreco.
- Conán, Canán, Maelán the chieftain, Sarán, Saerán, Saebdercán, Uinnsiu, Aillsiu, high their prowess! Tuinnsiu, Tairrsiu and Tromcheó,
- Cuán, Cattán, curly Caemán, Tnuán, dark-grey Taebán, Fuither, Fiacc, Failbe and Flann, these are their names.
- The fierce woman-fiend, devil-begotten, brought against them murder and poison, and slew them all together by the sleep-bringing spell of a bitter drink.
- The place where they lay dumb in death, its name is called Nemthend: the feast that was spread by Dreco brought them to sorrow and shame.
- May my body, gentle King of Crosses, be saved from harm and peril! and my soul, unblamed for sloth, let it not be delivered up to the Dragon!