Corpus of Electronic Texts Edition
The Metrical Dindshenchas (Author: [unknown])
- Loch Con, whose name shall never tell of peace
who is there that knows not
the work of the headstrong harmful beast
that made it a pillage and a prey?
- 5] From the Isles of the chieftain Mod
baying with jaws agape
the hound-packtowards its destruction
bore its impetuous course.
- The pack of Mod unfaltering,
10] which the beast overcame round Tuirbe's tower,
tracked the mighty swine
through every impenetrable thicket.
- It fled before them into this lake,
it brought distress upon this tower;
15] the dogs were drowned beneath this homestead
by the swine, in countless numbers.
- When it had settled its battles
it went to an island of the lake,
and took it as a pleasant domain:
20] the soil was its perpetual domicile.
- From the length of that pursuit
when their doom came upon the hunters
and they met an untimely fate
the lake derives its name.