Corpus of Electronic Texts Edition
The Metrical Dindshenchas (Author: [unknown])
- I will tell you how the White Loch purely bright
received, for a year and a day,
that which turned it white enduringly,
for it is I that have certain knowledge.
- 5] When Patrick, famed for holiness,
dwelt on blessed Cruach Patrick, greatly suffering,
(labour and sorrow was that time!)
protecting warrior-women and warrior-men,
- God sent, to comfort him at that season,
10] a flock of birds angelic, purely bright,
over the clear loch unremittingly
they sang a chorus, a gentle admonition.
- This was their auspicious summons:
"O Patrick, rise and come!
15] O protector of the Gaels, bright in glory!
O golden exalted star!"
- In numbers they smote the lake
with their smooth-shadowing wings
so that the ruffled surface unsunned
20] showed like sheen of silver.
- This it is that gave rise to the bright name
of Find-loch Cera, scene of combats,
as I have heard in every church:
this glorious meaning I declare.