Corpus of Electronic Texts Edition
The Metrical Dindshenchas (Author: [unknown])
- The noble name of Sinann, search it out for us,
since ye venture to lay bare its origin:
not paltry was the action and the struggle
whereby the name of Sinann became immortal.
- 5] Sinann, radiant, ever-generous,
was once a maiden right active
till she met all earthly misfortune,
the daughter of Lodan from heroic Luchar.
- In the still Land of Promise,
10] that no storm of bloodshed mars,
the deathless maid gained the fame that was her undoing,
the daughter of bright Luchar, whom I celebrate.17
- A spring (not sluggish) under the pleasant sea
in the domain of Condla (it was fitting,
15] as we recount in telling the tale):
to gaze upon it went Sinann.
- A well with flow unfailing
is by the edge of a chilly river
(as men celebrate its fame),
20] whence spring seven main streams.
- Here thou findest the magic lore of Segais
with excellence, under the fresh spring:
over the well of the mighty waters
stands the poets' music-haunted hazel.
- 25] The spray of the Segais is sprinkled
on the well of the strong gentle lady,
when the nuts of fair Crinmond fall
on its royal bosom bright and pure.
- Together in plenteous foison
30] shoot forth all at once from the goodly tree
leaf and flower and fruit;
to everyone it is not unlovely.
- In this wise, clear without falsehood,
they fall afterwards in their season
35] upon the honoured well of Segais
at the like hour, with like excellence.
- Nobly they come, with bright activity,
seven streams, in an untroubled gush,
back into the well yonder,
40] whence rises a murmur of musical lore.
- Let us recount the entire journey
whereon went Sinann of noble repute
to Lind Mna Feile in the west
with the choicest of her splendid abode.
- 45] There lacks no desirable gift that I could not fancy
as belonging to that noble lady
save magic lore in its sequences:
it was a new practice for her fresh life.
- The well fled back (clear fame
50] through the murmur of its musical lore!)
before Sinann, who visited it in the north,
and reached the chilly river.
- The woman of Luchar of full chastity
followed the stream of Segais
55] till she reached the river's brink
and met destruction and utter frustration.
- There the comely lady was drowned
and perished under heavy injury;
though the woman of warlike ardour is dead,
60] her noble name clave to her river.
- Hence with zealous affection
is called the Pool of the pure-white modest woman.
in every place (an easy visit) is known
the noble pleasant name of this Sinann.