Corpus of Electronic Texts Edition
The Metrical Dindshenchas (Author: [unknown])
- There is due to the water of Loch Lein
a greeting from afar,
as it is free from sorrow beyond all,
in beauty and endless glory.
- 5] There was a time when it was a waste, a place of graves,
with many a generous chieftain,
though it be now a hallowed water, with fullness of fame,
over the domain of Fathlind son of Aed.
- Since the lake of the fair blameless host
10] spread over the entire domain
of Fathlind son of Aed Daman,
a lay is due to it from every man.
- I have heard of Len with hammers in plenty,
as being under the marge of its blooming bank,
15] where he shaped by no feeble forceless work
the shining vessels of Fand daughter of Flidais.
- At Sid Buidb he was a wright without reproach,
Len Linfiaclach son of Bolgach:
Bolgach son of Bannach fair fame
20] was son of Glammach son of Gomer.
- Were it chariot or helmet of gold,
were it cup or well-made instrument of music,
justly Len won good fame therefrom,
it was finished work ere night.
- 25] After work ceased each night (right deed),
for the accomplished man (no weakling he),
at his anvil, he would fling it
from him to the anvil of the Dese.
- Three showers would it fling forth
30] the anvil with its sparkles:
a shower of water, unfailing, vigorous,
a shower of flaming fire:
- The third shower with bright shining share
was of lovely pure purple jewels,
35] so that these, lovely in purity,
were the jewels of Loch Lein's clear waters.
- The lake of the hero Len endures
with multitude of lean-sided waves:
in the land of the Dese by Len's will
40] endures his anvil after him.
- In the reign of blameless Eremon
after clear dawning free from strife
sprang up, famous beyond every noble place in the east,16
the outburst of the waters of Loch Lein.
- 45] They tell here differently
both nobles and gleemen,
that it was not found and manifested in the east
till the time of Cond Cetchathach.
- Hence comes no silent sound
50] the legend of Loch Lein in after days:
thanks should be paid for our report:
from every man this is due.