Corpus of Electronic Texts Edition
The Metrical Dindshenchas (Author: [unknown])
Tond Chlidna II
- Genann son of Tren, pleasant ...!
he was chief of this land;
since he got the kingly seat under him,
the fairest of his children was Clidna.
- 5] Vigorous the dash, spirited the onset,
wherewith came the curly-haired Ciaban,
when he reached cheerful Mag Mell
over the fierce concourse of ocean.
- After coming to the land, with brave deeds in plenty,
10] it is there he uttered
thrice fifty cries, that fill a verse14,
for Clidna daughter of Genann.
- Thrice fifty tribes are there to the province;
a hostage for every tribe in Genann's hands;
15] hither comes a daughter of every king,
to tend the tresses of the high-king's daughter.
- "In the name of God, I will go thither,
I will bear off with me this maiden:
she it is that I have chosen, the faultless
20] Clidna Cendfind, radiant of skin."
- He stepped forward into his boat,
he leaves the land of strong keeps,
so that thereafter it was called Sid nEna;
the maidens lamented.
- 25] The lords and the folk of the plain
were left behind lamenting;
they filled the tract by the shore
to arrest the rape.
- Said Genann fierce his hate:
30] "who seizes the pledge?"
said he across the ship-ridden sea,
they should carry off curly-haired Ciaban!
- Said Genann, over the host:
"'Tis well, O Clidna, with cheeks aflame!
35] some time shall come thy day
in such wise as I shall declare.
- "Keep watch for the day of my death!
I tell thee this shall be my message!
there shall come a wave whose crest shall sparkle,
40] and shall whelm thy home in thine island."
- So thereupon woe for the tryst!
Clidna went her way with Ciaban;
they hoisted sail unstable the craft
round Erin from the south-west.
- 45] Roar of the rude wind
and storm of the sea
carried them on the sand a mound of strength
in the estuary of Traig Tellat.
- Hail to chaste Clidna,
50] since she went to the tryst with death,
at the place where she changed hue,
so that her name is known over Erin.
- Not silent to-night the strand,
if the Wave of Clidna have arisen:
55] it striketh a blow against resounding Banba
after the woe of Genann's daughter.