Corpus of Electronic Texts Edition
The Metrical Dindshenchas (Author: [unknown])
Tond Clidna I
- Clidna Cendfind, lasting her exploit,
at this wave came her death;
cause for her mother to die
was the matter whence arose the ancient name.
- 5] When the gathering was held yonder;
by the people of the Land of Promise,
'twas he carried off the woman by deceit
Ciaban son of Eochu Imderg.
- The queen of the gathering yonder in sooth,
10] the maiden whose name was Clidna,
Ciaban the curly-haired bore with him,
over the wide ship-ridden sea.
- He left her on the wave,
he went from her on a giddy venture,
15] to seek a chase, fair deed!
he went forward under the tangled wood.
- The wave came after he was gone:
to Ciaban it was no lucky sound:
a great event, we grieved thereat
20] was the drowning of Clidna Cendfind.
- The Wave of Dun Teite of the chiefs,
that was its name before in your land,
till there was drowned in the wave in sooth
a woman whose name was Clidna.
- 25] The grave of Teite and her strand are northward;
she was slain amid her great host:
the grave of Clidna and her strand are southward,
south-east of Dorn Buide's Mound.
- The locks of Dorn Buide are wetted
30] in the waves of the mighty flood:
though it cause displeasure,
it is Clidna that it drowns.
- Ildathach and his two sons
were drowned all three on their wooing:
35] woe to them that stuck to the ship,
that protected them not against a single wave!
- Fifty ships went over sea,
the folk of the household of Manannan;
That was no band without spears:
40] they were drowned in the waves of Clidna.