Corpus of Electronic Texts Edition
The Metrical Dindshenchas (Author: [unknown])
- Dear to me is bright Gabran,
who made his way hither on the trail of Lurgu:
no quarry ever escaped him over the heather
except a grey one-eyed pig.
- 5] He went on its track (bright spot),
to the chilly territory of Almu,
till it made a rush underground,
the loathly long-lived pig.
- He turned homeward after great fatigue,
10] after being a while under ground,
in his rush swift as flame
his heart burst like a nut for ever.
- There was he buried underground,
at the Pass high in renown,
15] which is called after valiant Gabran,
is he not dear to the red-weaponed host?
- A band of bondmen followed Gabran's track,
with a frenzied chant in their mouths;
on the trail of Lurgu (fulness of valour)
20] he was slain in the bog of Almu.11