Corpus of Electronic Texts Edition
The Metrical Dindshenchas (Author: [unknown])
- Durgen found suffering on every side
by the hand of Indech, who traversed the battle-field,
she was daughter of Luath, bloody in combat,
overcomer of a hundred warriors, one that knit strife.
- 5] Known to me is the mother who wrought her ruin;
by her falseness the false woman destroyed her;
'tis she was an axe-haft for cleaving
on the soil of Belach da Bend.
- Herccad, the mother who wrought her ruin,
10] excellent in disposition at all times,
was daughter of Trescu, with floods of waves;
perpetrated the deed that was done there!
- She went to her slave this is truth for you
(it was a madman's choice, when she had tasted him:)
15] in spite of Luath daring was the desire
came the slave to the first original crime.
- Sharply the daughter watched:
the alert hawk of the host revealed the secret:
to a tryst with Herccad was coming
20] a slave without repute, into Luath's bed.
- From that tryst which she arranged in the East
with Indech on account of Herccad
the prosperous folk,
Durgen has a claim on them.