Corpus of Electronic Texts Edition: T100070
The Flight of the Earls
Author: Tadhg Ó Cianáin
Background details and bibliographic information
File DescriptionPaul Walsh
translated by Paul WalshElectronic edition compiled by Benjamin Hazard
Funded by University College, Cork and
The Higher Education Authority via the CELT Project.
2. Second draft.
Extent of text:
CELT: Corpus of Electronic Texts: a project of University College, Cork
College Road, Cork, Irelandhttp://www.ucc.ie/celt (2005) (2010)
Distributed by CELT online at University College, Cork, Ireland.
Text ID Number: T100070
Available with prior consent of the CELT programme for purposes of academic research and teaching only.
- Dublin, Franciscan MS A 21; available at University College Dublin, Archives Department. For further details see Myles Dillon, Canice Mooney and Pádraig de Brún (eds.), Catalogue of Irish manuscripts in the Franciscan Library (Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies 1969); George D. Burtchaell and Thomas Ulick Sadleir (eds.), Report on the Franciscan manuscripts preserved at The Convent, Merchants' Quay, Dublin (Historical Manuscripts Commission 1906).
- Tadhg Ó Cianáin, Imeacht na nIarlaí [Flight of the Earls]; ed. Pádraig De Barra (Dublin 1972). (Modern Irish version.)
Secondary literature: A selection
- William Camden, Britannia (London 1610).
- Thomas Gainsford, The true and exemplary and remarkable history of the Earle of Tirone (London 1619).
- Fynes Moryson, A History of Ireland from the year 1599 to 1603 (2 vols, Dublin 1735).
- George Hill, The Montgomery Manuscripts, 16031706 (Belfast 1869).
- George Hill, The flight of the earls: or, The earls' own account of the causes which compelled them to leave Ulster in the autumn of 1607, with illustrations drawn from state papers. (Belfast: "Northern Whig" Office 1878).
- Charles Patrick Meehan, The fate and fortunes of Hugh O'Neill, Earl of Tyrone, and Rory O'Donel, Earl of Tyrconnel: their flight from Ireland, and death in exile (Dublin 1886).
- M. J. Byrne, Ireland under Elizabeth (Dublin 1903) [An English translation of Philip O'Sullivan Beare, Historiae Catholicae Iberniae Compendium (Lisbon 1621)].
- Henry Docwra, A narration of the services done by the Army ymployed to Lough-Foyle, in: Miscellany of the Celtic Society, ed. John O'Donovan (Dublin 1849).
- Philip Wilson, The flight of the earls: an unsolved problem of history, Nineteenth Century & After 55 (1904) 47991.
- Michael Earls, The flight of the earls, Catholic World 104 (1917) 6512.
- Seán Ó Faoláin, The great O'Neill: a biography of Hugh O' Neill, Earl of Tyrone, 15501616 (London 1942; repr. Cork 1970; Dublin 1981).
- James Carty (ed.), Ireland, from the Flight of the Earls to Grattan's Parliament, 16071782; a documentary record (Dublin 1951).
- Alexander Boyle, The flight of the earls, Studies; an Irish quarterly review 44 (1955) 46978.
- Lughaidh Ó Cléirigh, The Life of Aodh Ruadh O Domhnaill: transcribed from the book of Lughaidh O Cleirigh, with introduction and notes by Paul Walsh. Pt. 1 (Dublin 19481957).
- Micheline Walsh, Some notes towards a history of the womanfolk of the Wild Geese, Irish Sword 5 (1961/62) 98106.
- Brendan Jennings, Wild Geese in Spanish Flanders, 15821700 (Dublin 1964).
- John Lynch, Spain under the Habsburgs (Oxford 1965; 1981).
- Micheline Walsh, The last years of Hugh O'Neill: Rome, 160816, Irish Sword 3 (1958) 23444; 5 (1962) 22335; 7 (1965) 514, 13646, 32737; 8 (1966) 1209; (1967) 294303; (1968).
- Nicholas P. Canny, The flight of the earls, 1607, Irish Historical Studies 17 (1971) 380399.
- Aidan Clarke, Pacification, Plantation and the Catholic Question, in: T.W. Moody, F.X. Martin and F.J. Byrne (eds.), A New History of Ireland, Vol. 3: Early Modern Ireland, 15341691 (Oxford 1976; 1989).
- Brendan Bradshaw, Sword, word and strategy in the Reformation in Ireland, Historical Journal 21 (1978) 475502.
- Nicholas Canny, Flight of the earls, 1607, in: Rory Fitzpatrick (ed.), Milestones or millstones? Watersheds in Irish history (Belfast 1979).
- Mark G. McLaughlin, The Wild Geese: The Irish brigades of France and Spain (London 1980).
- F. W. Harris, The state of the realm: English military, political, and diplomatic responses to the flight of the earls, autumn 1607 to spring 1608, Irish Sword 14 (198081), 4764.
- Aidan Clarke, The Genesis of the Ulster Rising of 1641, in: Peter Roebuck (ed.), Plantation to partition, essays in Ulster history in honour of J.L. McCracken (Belfast 1981) 2845.
- Margaret Mac Curtain, The flight of the earls, in: Liam De Paor (ed.), Milestones in Irish history (Cork 1986) 5261.
- Micheline Kerney Walsh, Destruction by Peace: Hugh O'Neill after Kinsale (Monaghan 1986).
- Nicholas P. Canny, Reformation to Restoration: Ireland 15341660 (Dublin 1987).
- Brendan Fitzpatrick, Seventeenth-Century Ireland: the war of religions (Dublin 1988).
- Micheline Kerney Walsh, Hugh O'Neill & the flight of the earls, (Rathmullen 1991).
- Jonathan Bardon, A history of Ulster (Belfast 1992).
- Gráinne Henry, The Irish military community in Spanish Flanders, 15861621 (Dublin 1992).
- Hiram Morgan, Tyrone's Rebellion: the outbreak of the Nine Years War in Tudor Ireland (Woodbridge, Suffolk 1993).
- Robert A. Stradling, The Spanish monarchy and Irish mercenaries 161868: the Wild Geese in Spain, 161868 (Dublin 1993)
- John McCavitt, The flight of the earls 1607, Irish Historical Studies 29 (1994) 15973.
- Marc Caball, Providence and Exile in Early Seventeenth-Century Ireland, Irish Historical Studies 29 (1994) 174188.
- Micheline Kerney Walsh, An exile of Ireland: Hugh O'Neill, Prince of Ulster (Dublin 1996).
- Murray Smith, Flight of the earls? Changing views on O'Neill's departure from Ireland, History Ireland 4:1 (1996) 1720.
- Mary Ann Lyons, Reluctant collaborators: French reaction to the Nine Years' War and the flight of the earls, 15941608, Seanchas Ardmhacha: Journal of the Armagh Diocesan Historical Society 19:1 (2002) 7090.
- John McCavitt, The flight of the earls (Dublin 2002) [The author maintains his own website at www.theflightoftheearls.net]
- Jerrold I. Casway, Heroines or victims? The women of the flight of the earls, New Hibernia Review 7/1 (2003): 5674.
- Hiram Morgan, The Battle of Kinsale (Bray 2004).
- Christophe Humble, The flight of the Earls: a drama (New York 1984).
The edition used in the digital edition
- The Flight of the Earls by Tadhg Ó Cianáin, edited from the author's manuscript, with translation and notes. Paul Walsh (ed), First edition [xx + 268 pages] St. Patrick's CollegeMaynooth (1916)
CELT: Corpus of Electronic Texts
Text proofread twice at CELT. Editorial corrections are integrated into the electronic edition.
The electronic text represents the edited text. Editorial corrections are tagged corr sic="" resp="PW" with the corrected form given in the 'sic' attribute. Text supplied by the editor is marked sup resp="PW". Colophons and other notes by the author, given in footnotes by Walsh, are integrated. Text other than in English is indicated. The Irish version is available in a separate file (G100070).
Direct speech is tagged q.
Soft hyphens are silently removed. When a hyphenated word (hard or soft) crosses a page-break or line-break, this break is marked after the completion of the hyphenated word.
div0=the whole text; div1=the section; div2=the sub-section; page-breaks are marked.
Dates are standardized in the ISO form yyyy-mm-dd.
Names are not tagged.
This text uses the DIV1 element to represent the section.
Created: By Tadhg Ó Cianáin Date range: 16071609.
Use of language
Language: [EN] The text is in English.
Language: [GA] A few words are in Irish.
Language: [LA] A few words are in Latin.
Language: [IT] A few words are in Italian; not all are marked.