Corpus of Electronic Texts Edition: T100062
Author: Sean Mac Ruaidhrí Mac Craith
Background details and bibliographic information
File DescriptionStandish Hayes O'Grady
translated by Standish Hayes O'GradyElectronic edition compiled by Emer Purcell Proof corrections by Emer Purcell
Funded by University College, Cork and
The HEA via the LDT Project and
The IRCHSS via the Digital Dinneen Project
1. First draft, revised and corrected.
Extent of text: 67,800 words
CELT: Corpus of Electronic Texts: a Project of the Department of History, University College, Cork
College Road, Cork, Irelandhttp://www.ucc.ie/celt (2008)
Distributed by CELT online at University College, Cork, Ireland.
Text ID Number: T100062
Available with prior consent of the CELT project for purposes of academic research and teaching only.
You can purchase the book(s) containing this text via the ITS website (http://www.irishtextssociety.org/). Click on the link to the RIA shop.
We would like to acknowledge that the text was scanned by a volunteer, Conall Mac Aongusa, and donated to CELT.
- Royal Irish Academy, 23 Q 16; a large fragment on vellum written in 1509.
- Trinity College Dublin, H 1 18 (no. 1292), written by Aindrias Mac Cruitín for Tadhg Mac Conmara in 1721.
- Thomas Johnson Westropp, 'The Normans in Thomond', Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 21 (18901891) 284293, 381387, 462472.
- Thomas Johnson Westropp, 'On the external evidences bearing on the historic character of the 'Wars of Torlough' by John, son of Rory MacGrath', Transactions of the Royal Irish Academy, C, 32:2 (19021904) 133198.
- Goddard H. Orpen, Ireland under the Normans (4 vols. Oxford, 1911) Vol. 4, 53106.
- Edward Curtis, 'The wars of Turlogh: an historical document', The Irish Review 2 (19121913), 577586, 644647; 3 (19131914), 3441.
- Vernam E. Hull, 'The preterite passive plural in Caithréim Thoirdhealbhaigh', Éigse 8 (19551957) 3031.
- L.F. McNamara, 'An examination of the medieval Irish text 'Caithréim Thoirdhealbhaigh': the historical value of the 'Caithréim Thoirdhealbhaigh'. North Munster Antiquarian Journal 8 (19581961) 182192.
The edition used in the digital edition
- Caithréim Thoirdhealbhaigh. Standish Hayes O'Grady (ed), First edition [252 pp. 1-130 Text; 131-156 Version of Metrical Pieces; Appendix: A. The Burkes, AA. The Burkes, B. The Butlers, C. The Geraldines, and E. The War of Pompey and Caesar; 243-225 Index.] Irish Texts Society London (1929) . Irish Texts Society [Cumann na Scríbheann nGaedhilge]. , No. 26
CELT: Corpus of Electronic Texts
The present text represents pp. 1130 of the volume. The editorial introduction, notes and indexes have been omitted. The version of the metrical pieces given in the appendix has been inserted into main electronic text.
Text has been proof-read once.
The electronic text represents the edited text.
There are no quotations.
The editor's hyphenation has been retained.
div1=the section text; paragraphs are marked p.
Names are not tagged, nor are terms for cultural and social roles.
This text uses the DIV1 element to represent the section.
Created: The original was written in the 14th century; the translation in the 20th century.
Use of language
Language: [EN] Text is in English.
Language: [GA] Many terms, names and some phrases are in Irish.
Language: [LA] Some phrases are in Latin.