Corpus of Electronic Texts Edition: G402577
Tugsad naoimh Mumhan go maith
Background details and bibliographic information
File DescriptionLuke McInerney
edited by Luke McInerney
Rendered into TEI-XML by Beatrix Färber
Funded by University College Cork.
1. First draft.
Extent of text: 1175 words
CELT: Corpus of Electronic Texts: a project of University College, Cork
College Road, Cork, Irelandhttp://www.ucc.ie/celt (2013)
Distributed by CELT online at University College, Cork, Ireland.
Text ID Number: G402577
Available with prior consent of the CELT programme for purposes of academic research and teaching only. CELT is very grateful to Luke McInerney, Pádraig Ó Riain, and the editor of Seanchas Ardmhacha, Mgr. Réamonn Ó Muirí for their permission to make this text available on CELT.
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 23 L 11, p. 263, written (copied) in 1780 by Antony O'Brien in 1780 in Dunaha Chapel and at Querrin'. The manuscript was completed on 25 September 1780.
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 12 E 23, p. 86.
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 3 B 2, p. 29.
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 24 C 29, p. 259.
- Maynooth, Russell Library, MS C 41, p. 66, written (copied) by Aindrias Mac Cruitín, completed 1721. This manuscript was written for Éamonn Ó Maolruanaigh
and his wife 'Seabhán'.
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS 12 E 23, fo. 86, copied by Micheál Óg Ó Hannracháin of Ballykett near Kilrush, completed in 1833.
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, MS RIA 3 B 2, fo. 29m, written by Micheál Ó Rághailliodh. This manuscript was written between 1841 and 1846, and completed at Inis Diomáin (Ennistymon).
- Luke McInerney has a webpage with further articles (including the full text of this one) on http://independent.academia.edu/LukeMcInerney.
- You will find more information on bardic poetry in general, and in particular, on Dr Katherine Simms' Irish Poetry Database hosted at http://www.bardic.celt.dias.ie.
Literature mentioned in the footnotes
- Pádraig Ó Riain, A dictionary of Irish Saints (Dublin 2011) (with bibliography).
The edition used in the digital edition
- Luke McInerney, A poem on the saints of Munster in Seanchas Ardmhacha, Ed. Réamonn Ó Muirí. , Armagh, Cumann Seanchas Ardmhacha (Armagh Diocesan Historical Society) (2012) volume 24:1page 1022: 1719
CELT: Corpus of Electronic Texts
The text edition presented here is mainly from Antony O'Brien's 1780 transcription, though in some parts it relies on Mac Cruitín's 1721 copy. The CELT edition incorporates the editor's footnotes. The English translation is available in a separate file on CELT.
Text was proofed by the editor, and checked and proof-read once at CELT.
The electronic texts represents the edited text. Manuscript foliation is not given (the edition being based on two manuscripts).
There are no quotation marks.
Soft hyphens are silently removed. When a hyphenated word (hard or soft) crosses a page-break, the page-break is marked after the completion of the hyphenated word.
There are no dates within the poem.
Names of persons, groups or places are not tagged.
Created: Copied from older materials the date of which is not known. The date given here relates to the manuscripts used.
Date range: 17211780.
Use of language
Language: [GA] The poem in Classical Modern Irish.
Language: [EN] Editorial footnotes are in English.