Corpus of Electronic Texts Edition: G303003
The Death of Finn Mac Cumaill
Background details and bibliographic information
File DescriptionKuno Meyer
Electronic edition compiled by Beatrix Färber
Funded by University College, Cork and
Professor Marianne McDonald via the CELT Project
2. Second draft.
Extent of text: 2000 words
CELT: Corpus of Electronic Texts: a project of University College, Cork
College Road, Cork, Irelandhttp:www.ucc.ie/celt (2004) (2010)
Distributed by CELT online at University College, Cork, Ireland.
Text ID Number: G303003
Available with prior consent of the CELT programme for purposes of academic research and teaching only.
- Oxford, Bodleian Library MS Laud 610, folio 122 b2; for details see Brian Ó Cuív, Catalogue of Irish manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford and Oxford College Libraries, Dublin: DIAS 2001, pp. 6288: 87.
- London, British Library MS Egerton 92, folio 6a, 1; for details see Robin Flower (ed.), Catalogue of Irish manuscripts in the British Library (formerly the British Museum) vol. 2, pp. 50519: 505.
Editions of this tale
- Kuno Meyer (ed.), The Death of Finn Mac Cumaill, Zeitschrift für Celtische Philologie 1 (1897) 46265.
Editions of related tales and secondary literature
- Kuno Meyer (ed. and trans.), Fianaigecht: Being a collection of hitherto inedited Irish poems and tales relating to Finn and his Fiana, with an English translation. Royal Irish Academy; Todd Lecture Series 16; Dublin and London 1910. (Repr. 1937 and 1993, DIAS, Dublin). [Still a standard work, comprising introduction to the Finn Cycle, annotated editions of various tales, with English translation, Glossary of the rarer words, and indexes of personal names, tribe names and place names.]
- Duanaire Finn, the Book of the Lays of Fionn, 3 vols; 1: Irish text with translation (part I); ed. by Eoin Mac Néill, ITS 7 (1908); 2: Irish text with translation (part II); ed. by Gerard Murphy, ITS 28 (1933); 3: Introduction, Notes, Appendices, Indexes and Glossary; ed. by Gerard Murphy, Anne O'Sullivan, Idris L. Foster, Brendan Jennings, ITS 43 (1953).
- James MacKillop, Fionn mac Cumhaill: Celtic Myth in English Literature. Syracuse 1986. [With useful, well-structured bibliography on pp. 197249].
- Daithí Ó hÓgáin, Fionn Mac Cumhaill: Images of a Gaelic Hero. Dublin 1988.
- Máirtín Ó Briain, Review of Ó hÓgáin, Bealoideas 57 (1989) 174183.
- Donald E. Meek, Review of Ó hÓgáin, Cambridge Medieval Celtic Studies 22 (Winter 1991) 101103.
The edition used in the digital edition
- Kuno Meyer, The Death of Finn Mac Cumaill in Zeitschrift für Celtische Philologie. Volume 1, Halle/Saale, Max Niemeyer (1897) page 462465
CELT: Corpus of Electronic Texts
The electronic text represents pp. 462465 of Kuno Meyer's article, including introduction, and annotated edition of the two fragments. The English translation is available in a separate file.
Text has been proof-read twice.
The electronic text represents the edited text. Word segmentation is in line with CELT practice. Expansions are tagged ex; footnotes are marked note type="auth" n="". Text supplied by the editor is tagged sup resp="KM". The f carrying a punctum delens becomes f.
Direct speech is marked q.
div0=the group of texts. div1=the fragment. The editor's introduction is in an unnumbered div outside div0.
Names are not tagged, nor are terms for cultural and social roles.
This text uses the DIV1 element to represent the Fragment.
Created: By one or more unknown author(s).
Date range: c1000?c1200?.
Use of language
Language: [GA] Text is in Middle Irish.
Language: [EN] Introduction and annotations are in English.
List of Participants