Corpus of Electronic Texts Edition: G301041
Background details and bibliographic information
File DescriptionMaud Joynt
Electronic edition compiled by Emer Purcell
proof corrections by Caoimhín Ó Domhnaill
Funded by University College, Cork and
The HEA via the LDT Project
2. Second draft, revised and corrected
Extent of text: 15230 words
CELT: Corpus of Electronic Texts: a project of University
College Road, Cork, Irelandhttp://www.ucc.ie/celt (2006) (2008)
Distributed by CELT online at University College, Cork, Ireland.
Text ID Number: G301041
Available with prior consent of the CELT programme for purposes of academic research and teaching only.
Hardcopy copyright lies with the School of Celtic Studies (Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies).
- Chatsworth, Book of Lismore (at Chatsworth since 1930), 15th century, fo. 144a.
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, O'Curry's transcript RIA 23 H 6.
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, 24 M 31, Dublin.
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, 23 O 16 Dublin.
- Dublin, Royal Irish Academy, 23 O 34 Dublin.
Editions and translations, retellings, secondary literature; commentary and reception
- Owen Connellan (ed and tr.), Imtheacht na Tromdhaimhe, or, the Proceedings of the Great Bardic Institution, Transactions of the Ossianic Society 5, (Dublin 1860).
- Henri d'Arbois de Jubainville, Essai d'un Catalogue de la littérature épique de l'Irlande (Paris 1883; repr. 1969). [Comments on Fallsigad Tana Bó Cuailnge and its relation to Tromdamh Guaire and Imtheacht na Tromdhaimhe.] 128.
- Peadar Ua Laoghaire, Guaire. Peadar Ua Laoghaire do sgríobh ó'n seana-sgéal Imtheacht na tromdháimhe; Conall Cearnach do chuir i n-eagar. (Baile Átha Cliath 1915). [Modern Irish retelling of Imtheacht na Tromdháimhe. Includes synopsis and vocabulary.]
- Rudolf Thurneysen, Die irische Helden- und Königsage bis zum siebzehnten Jahrhundert. Teil I und II. (Halle 1921; repr. Wiesbaden 1980), 671.
- Maud Joynt, Tromdámh Guaire (Dublin 1931; repr. DIAS 1941).
- Gerard Murphy, Saga and Myth in Ancient Ireland (Dublin 1955) 44.
- Seán Ó Coileáin, The Making of Tromdám Guaire, Ériu 28 (1977) 3270.
- Séamus Ó hAodha, An tAos Dána (1940) [a play based on Tromdamh Guaire].
The edition used in the digital edition
- Tromdámh Guaire. Maud Joynt (ed), First edition [xv + 55 pp., viixv Introduction, 140 Text, 4148 Notes, 48 Abbreviations, 4955 Vocabulary] Stationery OfficeDublin (1931) . Mediaeval and Modern Irish Series. , No. 2
CELT: Corpus of Electronic Texts
The present text represents pages 140 of the edited text.
Text has been checked and proofread twice. All corrections, including
some by Maud Joynt and supplied text, are tagged.
The electronic text represents the printed text. The editor's corrigenda have been integrated. The letter h- prefixed to nouns with vocalic anlaut has been hyphenated off. Expansions shown in italics in the hardcopy have been marked ex. Letters supplied in square brackets by the editor are tagged sup resp="MJ".
Direct speech is rendered q; except where it cannot be nested within/outside the apparatus; in which case it is rendered '
When a hyphenated word (hard or soft) crosses a line-break, or page-break, the break is marked
after the completion of the hyphenated word (and punctuation mark, if any).
div0=the saga; page-breaks are marked pb n="", and line-breaks lb n="". Poems have been treated as embedded texts, with line-groups marked and numbered: lg n="". Poems and passages of rhetoric speech are treated as embedded texts, with speakers marked. Foliation is marked using mls unit="folio" n="".
Names of persons (given names), places and group names are not tagged. Such encoding is envisaged in a future edition.
Created: By one or more unknown author(s) in the Middle Irish period.
Date range: 9001200.
Use of language
Language: [GA] The text is in Early Modern Irish.
Language: [LA] Some words are in Latin.
Language: [EN] The witness list in English.