Corpus of Electronic Texts Edition: G100062
Author: Sean Mac Ruaidhrí Mac Craith
Background details and bibliographic information
File DescriptionStandish Hayes O'Grady
Electronic edition compiled by Emer PurcellProof corrections by Hilary Lavelle
Funded by University College, Cork and
The HEA via the LDT Project and
The IRCHSS via the Digital Dinneen Project
2. Second draft, with additions to bibliography.
Extent of text:
CELT: Corpus of Electronic Texts: a project of the Department of History, University College, Cork
College Road, Cork, Irelandhttp://www.ucc.ie/celt (2008) (2010)
Distributed by CELT online at University College, Cork, Ireland.
Text ID Number: G100062
Available with prior consent of the CELT project for purposes of academic research and teaching only.
Copyright for the printed edition rests with the Irish Texts Society. The electronic edition was compiled with the kind permission of the copyright owner.
You can purchase the book(s) containing this text via the ITS website (http://www.irishtextssociety.org/). Click on the link to the RIA shop.
- Royal Irish Academy, 23 Q 16 a large fragment on vellum written in 1509.
- Trinity College Dublin, H. 1. 18 (no. 1292) written by Aindrias Mac Cruitín for Tadhg Mac Conmara in 1721.
- Thomas Johnson Westropp, 'The Normans in Thomond', Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 21 (18901891) 284293, 381387, 462472.
- Thomas Johnson Westropp, 'On the external evidences bearing on the historic character of the 'Wars of Torlough' by John, son of Rory MacGrath', Transactions of the Royal Irish Academy, C, 32:2 (19021904) 133198.
- Goddard H. Orpen, Ireland under the Normans (4 vols. Oxford, 1911) Vol. 4, 53106.
- Edward Curtis, 'The wars of Turlogh: an historical document', The Irish Review 2 (19121913) 577586, 644647; 3 (19131914) 3441.
- Vernam E. Hull, 'The preterite passive plural in Caithréim Thoirdhealbhaigh', Éigse 8 (19551957) 3031.
- Leo F. McNamara, 'An examination of the medieval Irish text 'Caithréim Thoirdhealbhaigh': the historical value of the 'Caithréim Thoirdhealbhaigh'. North Munster Antiquarian Journal 8 (19581961) 182192.
- Leo F. McNamara, 'The Caithréim Thoirdhealbhaigh manuscripts and O'Grady's edition', Modern Philolology 59 (1961) 122125.
- Leo F. McNamara, 'Traditional motifs in 'Caithréim Thoirdhealbhaigh', Kentucky Foreign Languages Quarterly 8 (1961) 8592.
- Aoife Nic Ghiollamhaith, 'Dynastic warfare and historical writing in North Munster, 12761350', Cambr Medieval Celtic Studies 2 (1981) 7389.
The edition used in the digital edition
- Caithréim Thoirdhealbhaigh. Standish Hayes O'Grady (ed), First edition [xvi + 237 pp., ixxvi Introduction, 1146 Text, 147224 Tuilledh Senchais sonn, mar atá: A. Senchas Búrcach, B. Senchas Butlérach, C. Senchas Síl Bhriain, and E. In Cogadh Catharda, 225237 Index.] London (1929 (Reprinted 1988)) Irish Texts Society
CELT: Corpus of Electronic Texts
The present text represents pp. 1146 of the volume. The remainder of the editorial introduction, as well as notes and indexes, has been omitted.
Text has been proof-read twice.
The electronic text represents the edited text. Text supplied by the editor is tagged sup resp="SOH". Expansions to the text are marked ex. The editor does not make his editorial policy clear. Therefore, editorial work has not been encoded (as insertion, variant reading, unclear, etc.) but left to stand as it is.
There are no quotations.
The editor's hyphenation has been retained.
div0=the text; div1=the section; paragraphs are marked p.
Names are not tagged, nor are terms for cultural and social roles.
This text uses the DIV1 element to represent the section.
Created: The earliest extant MS was written in 1509, using materials from the 14th century.
Use of language
Language: [GA] The Text is in Early Modern Irish.